Thursday, May 14, 2009

Point Lobos - Morning Mist

To receive more information about this painting click here.

I painted this on the last morning to paint for the Carmel Art Festival. This is painted off the corner of the lower parking lot and when we arrived the fog was thick and I could barely see the distant bluffs and trees. I decided to stay in the parking lot while Sterling hiked up and painted his award winner. The scene look rather simple at the time because there were just large shapes to wotk with due to the fog. I decided to do a 16x20 and quickly started putting down color spots based on the distant bluffs. Of course the fog started to lift and I had to go back to my memory of the scene. Luckily for me, it never lifted completely.

1 comment:

Ed Terpening said...

Wordsworth said, poetry is "emotion recollected in tranquility". It's that way for plein air painters, too, right? We observe, make notes of color, but it's the recollection later in the studio, that things come together.